Sunday, July 22, 2018

Jack's Razor: Truth = Facts + Conjecture / Perception

This sad commentary on our times came to me after watching "Backstabbing for Beginners" (available on Amazon Prime Video). Recommended!

The philosophical razor (See Title) at the top of this post was an amalgam of quotes from the dialogue of the movie; mostly uttered by the character played by Ben Kingsley. The movie is based on the factual events surrounding the aftermath of the first Gulf War and the massive corruption within the U.N. Oil for Food Programme. The movie was developed from the memoir by Michael Soussan, the real-life U.N. official who exposed the scam.

Quotes from the movie upon which I based the above razor are listed below. I find they have meaning in our analysis of our current history. I think they are all accurate as I paused the movie and read them into a voice to text app on my phone.

"It's not a lie, it's an opportunity to reach a wrong conclusion."
"You don't lie, you choose the truths with the utmost care."
"In diplomacy the truth is not a matter of fact, it is a matter of consensus."
"The truth isn't about the lies we told each other, it's about the lies we told ourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because I Said So" And Christian Nationalism

  Many of us remember having heard the, “Because I said so,” explanation used to tell us something was a fact and that no further discussion...